We would like to invite you to a public discussion on the topic “Should we be afraid of Chinese money in Ukraine” on Friday, September 24, at 12:00 Kyiv time. The event will include a presentation of the study produced by the Centre for Economic Strategy with the support from the Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE).
The event will take place at Inveria, 49A, Str. Volodymyrskaya, Kyiv but there will also be an option to join the discussion via Zoom. You can register using the form at the end of the webpage.
The event will be in Ukrainian with simultaneous translation to English.
China is a rising superpower that influences all the world’s economies. With its volatile political landscape, Ukraine has not fallen into China’s orbit as some other Eastern European countries have. Nevertheless, over the last seven years, China has increased trade volumes with Ukraine, acquired relatively large assets in energy and agriculture and tried to purchase an aircraft engine manufacturing company.
We will talk about the most important developments in bilateral Ukrainian-Chinese economic relations, summarize Chinese business practices in Ukraine and discuss the government’s strategy in this regard.
11:50-12:00 – welcome coffee
12:00-12:05 Opening remarks, Eric Hontz, Deputy Regional Director for Europe and Eurasia, Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE)
12:05-12:25 presentation «Chinese Economic Footprint in Ukraine» by Dmytro Goriunov, Senior Economist, Centre for Economic Strategy
12:25-13:10 – public discussion “Should we be afraid of Chinese money in Ukraine”
- Taras Holub, advisor to Vice Prime Minister for European and Euro-Atlantic integration
- Dmytro Goriunov, senior economist, Centre for Economic Strategy
- Viktor Dovgan, advisor to the EU Office in Ukraine, Deputy Minister of infrastructure of Ukraine for European integration (2016 – 2019)
- Mykhailo Lev, Deputy Minister for Economy of Ukraine (awaiting confirmation)
- Olha Mahaletska, Head of the Office of the National Investment Council under the President of Ukraine
- Eric Hontz, Deputy Regional Director for Europe and Eurasia, Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE)
Moderator: Hlib Vyshlinsky, executive director of the Center for Economic Strategy
13:10-13:30 – free discussion and Q&A
Please indicate in the comments when registering whether you plan to join online or come to Inveria (49A, Str. Volodymyrskaya, Kyiv)
The number of offline participants will be limited according to the rules of the “yellow” level. We will only be able to accept those who register first or provide COVID certificates. All others will receive a link to the Zoom after registration.